Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Tale of Two Pears


Okay, so we make mistakes sometimes, and this afternoon as I listened to a storm and finished grading research papers, I poached pears and nectarines. Can you guess which fruit worked beautifully and which completely gave up, drowning in wine and sugar?


So here is what I recommend:

Place four pealed pears in a pot with a bottle of red wine (I finally made use of a bottle I got at my bachelorette party: “Mad Housewife Wine”), 1 c of sugar, and 1 t of cinnamon. Boil the wine and then let the mixture simmer for two hours. Then scoop the very pink pears out and halve them if you like. Now, reduce the wine: allow it to boil down for 8-10 minutes so it becomes a much thicker wine sauce. Pour the wine sauce over the pears and add some walnuts. Mmm.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Jamie, your poached pears are beautiful!! Poached pears are so posh and romantic - I'm very impressed!
    I'm so sorry about your poor headache... I hope it goes away sooooon!! *get well hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Astra! You are such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete