Friday, May 22, 2009

Sesame Seed and Cheddar Cheese Flatbread


I’ve noticed that a flatbread will usually carry my husband and I through a meal and a weekend, munching on the bread with hummus for a snack, warming it up with a salad for lunch. Jake usually likes to eat something at the exact moment we head for bed – it often makes me laugh. I guess I don’t understand his m.o. “I’m sleepy. What’s in the fridge?”


Anyway, I use the same recipe as I mentioned earlier this month – Let 1 c of heated water, 2 ½ t yeast, a dash of sugar sit by itself for a bit until it bubbles, then add 1 T of olive oil. In another bowl stir 3 scant c of all-purpose flour, ½ c wheat flour and 1 t of salt. Mix the wets and drys (perhaps adding another 1/3 c of water if you need it) and then put the dough in a plastic bag coated lightly with olive oil for 30 minutes. Seal the bag so that the dough rises while you do other things.


Some other things you could do during this time:

- Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil lightly with oil

- Make yourself an open-face egg salad sandwich for lunch

- Browse etsy online

- Decide what to wear for the weekend

- Read some Joan Didion until you begin to feel depressed

- Respond to some emails

- Browse upcoming cooking classes in your town – I peruse Kitchen Conservatory (I’m going to try the make your own pasta class in June!)


THEN, check on your dough. It should be much bigger now. Try not to touch it too much, but do roll it out on the lightly-oiled pan. I still do not have a rolling pin and have taken to using a red wine vinegar bottle instead.


Now, as I mentioned before, use your thumb to dab in olive oil and the dough repeatedly. Then add whatever you want to season your bread. Today I choose cheddar and parmesan cheeses (not too much) and sesame seeds, but you might also consider rosemary or other herbs, minced garlic, and other cheeses (lightly – remember it’s bread not pizza). Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes. Sooo good.


***In other news, my big experiment in the home improvement arena may have to be on hiatus for a bit. I struck concrete, not always good in the land of DIY repair and paint jobs!

4 comments:

  1. This flat bread looks so good it should be called Phlatbread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jamie, I am in raptures over your gorgeous flatbread... You are a genius!!

    Hmmmm, concrete... Could you just paint over it anyway, or is it too rough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, pretty rough actually. Would be very noticeable to paint over. Thinking about getting a bid from a "real" painter to patch it up with concrete mix and then finishing the rest...

    ReplyDelete