Friday, May 8, 2009

Quinoa and Tofu with Trader Joe's Thai Yellow Curry


When I was about thirteen and my brother was eight, we had a cooking show in our house called “Cooks ‘R Us.” We had no regular airtime schedule, but it was the kind of half-hour special that cropped up when my parents left us at home alone. Our imaginary television crew sat by the sink and the camera was projected out from our kitchen wastebasket. We also had a song that opened the show. It is not sacred, yet I cannot bring myself to share it. I recently asked my brother if he remembered the song. His response: “A few things you always remember. Like your name. And that song.”

I can’t recall much of what we made, other than a big mess. I remember an “apple crisp” which involved cut up apples and dried oatmeal packages, and “cinnamon snails” which entailed rolled up buttered bread and sugar. Gosh, Bryan was the sweetest kid. I mean, he still is (but maybe you don’t call 24-year-old guys sweet anymore?). He ate whatever mess I made.

A good memory. No real connection in space and time to today, other than I am still making a big mess in the kitchen and once again recording it for an audience, real or imagined. Here is the mess I made for tonight (it almost beats cinnamon snails).

I boiled 2 c of water with 1 c quinoa, and then let it simmer for 15 minutes, adding a handful of golden raisins and a chopped carrot. Then I took a bottle of Trader Joe’s yellow curry (I know, I know, is it really cooking if Trader Joes does it for you?), added baked tofu, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and the quinoa mixture. Cook for 10 minutes and eat!

Mmmm protein.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of food blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly. I feel like your comment inducted me into the sorority!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm this looks good. hey why is it a sorority? then again as a fem genderqueer gay boy(contradictory i know) can i have entry. I have food entries granted not vegan tho. oh, jaimie i though you might like this side dish really simple: campereli tomatoes halved, salt and pepper to taste, sear them (cut side down; if you want you can grill them);while searing in a pot heat olive oil and add chopped garlic and shallots, then when tomatoes are done, drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle some balsamic vinegar and if you want chopped basil and if you go non vegan add some sliced mozzarella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should post this - I was just at TJ's today and thought about getting that sauce. How is it? I ended up with the ol' standby: their Korma simmer sauce. Making it tomorrow with tons of veggies and tofu over quinoa. We must have been on the same wavelength on our respective trips to the store...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucas S.B., you are so right. So not a gender-exclusive club. Thanks for the recipe -- I love tomatoes. And Jackie, the yellow curry sauce is great, an old favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie, such a beautiful story! I especially love the "cinnamon snails" - vegetarian snails! :-)

    Mmmm, I'm SO glad you introduced me to this TJ's curry sauce - I must pick up a bottle on my next trip! Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete