Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Chili -- Again



I know, I know, I just made chili and blogged about it. In December no less. What kind of food blogger am I?

However, I'm pregnant! I should be able to cook whatever I feel like eating, no? (It's a pretty decent rationale - I might stick by it for months).

It's been so hard not sharing this news sooner - especially in the throes of morning sickness when my eating got, well, weird. It's also just hard not talking about it all the time:) We're very excited. And I'm also getting an extremely strong girl vibe right now, although we won't have the possibility of knowing this for certain for another month or so.

Anyway, for about 6 weeks - for those of you interested - I was up at 4 a.m. every single night gagging and hoping a B-natal lollipop would help. Sometimes it did; sometimes it didn't. I wound up watching a lot of television in the middle of the night: old Buffy the Vampire reruns, infomercials, and a long and wildly entertaining movie called The Abyss. But now I'm in my 15th week and doing a lot better - hooray.

So here is my new chili recipe -- basically my old chili recipe with a twist (thanks for the carrot suggestion, Sheri!):

1. Sauté an entire minced yellow onion in extra virgin olive oil (wear onion goggles if weepy).
2. Add an entire minced orange bell pepper, a chopped carrot or two and a chopped celery stalk.
3. Add a can of tomato sauce, a can of kidney beans, a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, and 1 cup of quorn, a meatless and soy-free protein.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder to the pot and stir everything together for a bit over medium heat. Then I put it on low heat for quite a while before eating.

Voila. Now that I'm back in St. Louis after a week in Miami, I can say with fervor: Happy winter.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the baby! Glad you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky you to be expecting a baby!!!!
    i love homemade chili...so yummy.

    xoxo alison
    http://www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete