Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Spaghetti Squash with Mushroom/Tomato Sauce


This was an experiment, as I've never made spaghetti squash before today. But I was at the grocery store, gawking at all the luscious vegetables and I thought, well, why the hell not. But how to cook it? I turned to Google, and then mainly followed instructions from this lovely blog. I've been reading more and more blogs lately and there are SO. MANY. GREAT. VEGGIE BLOGS!

Like Lettuce Love, I halved the squash with a very sharp knife, scooped out the seeds and pulp, and baked the halves for 30 minutes at 350 while I made a tomato sauce: I sautéd 1 shallot, 1 green onion, 1/4 diced white onion for a bit, added a handful of sliced mushrooms, then added this mixture to a can of diced tomatoes, and added oregano and black pepper.

Not too shabby.

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh, such a gorgeous dish!! Your sauce sounds incredible - shallots are the best! I love mushrooms in tomato sauce - soooo lucious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuuuum! Sounds/looks delicious! The Today Show did something similar (but sauce didn't sound as delicious, your mushrooms add a little pop...anyway, they shredded longer squash...looked like short spaghetti...can combine with the real stuff...yours and theirs on my to-cook list...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Astra and Kittie. Kittie, I didn't know about the Today Show's special but I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spaghetti has been a long time favorite of mine. Its very difficult to cut in half ..so what I do is put it in a plastic bag(incase it explodes ) and nuke it for about 10 to 14 minutes..depending on size.. let it cool. then you can cut it scoop out seeds ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirls thanks for the tip - putting it in the microwave seems much much easier than me trying to hack through it:)

    ReplyDelete