Monday, December 7, 2009

Glazed Lemon Muffins




I don't know what got into me this morning. It's Monday, after all. But I woke up early (way early - 5ish) and started reading a couple cookbooks and felt inspired to make muffins. I used my favorite cookbook, the Delightful Tomato Woods. Just kidding, the Enchanted Broccoli Forest (no one will find this funny).

Here is the recipe for these supersweet Glazed Lemon Muffins. I made them so early we ate them for breakfast:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease 12 muffin cups if they're not nonstick (I used butter spray).

2. Combine 6 T brown sugar, 4 T melted butter, 1 cup yogurt (I used Stonybrook's French Vanilla), 1 egg, 1/4 c lemon juice, and 1/2 t grated lemon rind in a medium-sized bowl and beat well.

3. In a separate medium-sized bowl, sift together 2 c unbleached white flour, a few dashes of nutmeg (we are out of this), 3/4 t baking soda, 2 t baking powder, and 1/4 t salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the wet mixture. Then you can stir in optional nuts or raspberries if you desire. I added about 1/4 c chopped walnuts. Stir together.

4. Fill the muffin cups up to the rim and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan right away and cool for about 10 minutes before glazing.

5. Glaze: Combine 5 T sugar, 1/4 lemon juice and 1/2 t grated lemon rind in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes then spoon 1-2 t glaze on top of each muffin (Note: I only had enough glaze for 3/4 of the muffins).

6. EAT!

1 comment:

  1. I found "the delightful tomato woods" very, very funny! :-) I confess, I'm still giggling... :-) Your muffins look SO gorgeous! I love the photo of the one on top of the EBF cookbook page - too adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete