Sunday, December 6, 2009

Spanish Potato Garlic Soup

sautéd green onion, one large thinly sliced potato, with 1 teaspoon of paprika.
broth!
Dinner!

Winter soups sounded so good today, so I found a recipe out of the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites cook book, and took a stab at it.

Here's what I did:

I boiled a large pot with 1 sliced onion, 2 sliced sweet potatoes, 1 potato, 2 chopped celery stalks, one bay leaf, and 3 garlic cloves. I let it boil and then turned it down to a simmer and put a lid on it for an hour.

Then I unpealed an entire head of garlic and put the cloves in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. Here is when the kitchen started to smell amazing. Then I blended the garlic with a cup of water in my Cuisinart.

I drained the vegetable broth but kept a bit of the veggies intact, added the garlic mixture and let that simmer for a while longer. Then in a pan I sautéd some green onion, one large sliced (thinly sliced) potato, with 1 teaspoon of paprika. I added a can of diced tomatoes and then eventually added this vegetable mix to the broth. Then I added a can of corn, straying from the recipe but so what - and voila! Dinner!

The verdict: I should have used more garlic, allspice like the recipe suggested, and miso with the broth (again, like the recipe suggested). It is light enough with some of my favorite veggies, but a little bland. I'd make it again with cornbread next time;)

2 comments:

  1. All meals are rich in vitamin a garlic flavor and adds a natural antibiotic and he is good in my swine flu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Jamie, you've been making such delicious dishes - I'm so sorry I've been missing from blogland for a bit! I'm so enjoying catching up on all your posts! This soup looks heavenly, and I'm very excited that it's from the Moosewood low-fat cookbook - you've reminded me to pull out my copy for some supper inspiration this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete