Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homespun Pot Pie




I used a new cookbook last night for dinner with friends. I'd been perusing the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook for weeks, so I finally tried out a recipe: homespun pot pie. It was hearty and delicious, and tasted quite like Fall.

The directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 and lightly oil a 9x13 casserole dish.

2. Warm 1 t of vegetable in a soup pot (I used olive oil). Add 1 c coarsely chopped onions, 2-3 T minced garlic, cover and cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add 1 t salt, 1 t thyme (we were out of thyme), 1 t dried marjoram, 4 to 5 c of mushrooms and 1 T of Dijon mustard. I changed this around a bit, adding only 2 cups of mushrooms and also 1 c cauliflower and 1 c broccoli instead. I forgot to add the mustard, even though we had some. Cook for about five minutes.

3. Then add 2 c peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (1/2-inch cubes), 2 c chopped potatoes, 2 c peeled and chopped parsnips (optional...I opted out), 1/2 t ground black pepper, and 3 c water or stock (I used water). Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then add 3 T of cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 c cold water into the simmering vegetable mixture and stir. When the liquid starts to thicken, add 1 c fresh or frozen peas, 1 c fresh or frozen corn, 1 T soy sauce, and 1/2 t salt. Pour the vegetables into the casserole dish and set aside.

4. In a mixing bowl, sift together 2 c unbleached white flour, 1/2 t salt, 1 T baking powder, and 1/2 t baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix together 6 T melted butter and 1 c buttermilk or plain yogurt (I eventually used more like 1 and 1/3 c of plain yogurt, since the biscuit dough seemed too dry to me). Combine the wet and dry ingredients into a soft dough and drop the biscuit batter over the vegetables in the casserole dish in six equal mounds. Sprinkle 1 t chopped fresh dill over the biscuits (again, we were all out).

5. Bake for 25-30 minutes (or 33 minutes if your oven is slow like mine is) and serve immediately. It makes the house smell delightful.

Note: to make this a vegan recipe, you'd substitute soy margarine for the butter and soymilk/rice milk or soy yogurt for the buttermilk/yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a recipe (non-veg) I used to make using Bisquick drop biscuits as a topping for pot pie. Your recipe looks healthy and delicious. Fall is definately in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I haven't tried out this Moosewood cookbook yet, although it's been on my dream list for a while... :-) Yum, I so adore pot pie... I love all the colors and textures in yours!

    I've been thinking of you often, Jamie... Sending love and hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. And yes, the cookbook is beautiful, the photos make it a bit like a storybook - and so many things I want to try. xo

    ReplyDelete