Saturday, October 3, 2009

A New Day

Sometimes I mistakenly believe that because I am a vegetarian I am in perfect health. But of course this is silly. I am 30 now, so I decided I would finally get a regular health checkup. So I found a doctor, got my cholesterol tested, discussed sleeplessness, the whole shebang. After the visit, I decided to try a few new things:

1. Drink less coffee and eventually stop drinking it altogether (oy, this will be the biggest challenge, since I've had 1 cup/day for the past 15 years -- gee, imagine how tall I could have been).

2. Eat more fiber (oats, beans, flax seed, among other things).

3. Eat less sugar (another challenge, since this is what I crave - not salt, not cheese, just sugar). Do you think a craving is bullshit? I'm unsure. Perhaps it's a story I tell myself.

Anyway, I've started brewing part-decaf coffee in the morning, and I made my own healthful oatmeal this morning.

Directions:
Boil 1 c water. Add 1/2 c whole grain Quaker oats. Add a dash of cinnamon and a 1/4 c raisins (or whatever you like to flavor your oatmeal -- or nothing at all). Stir on medium for 5 minutes. I added a bit soy milk. Voila.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting a check-up! I'm so dreadful about going to the doctor... *sheepish expression* Thank you for reminding me that I'm waaay overdue for a checkup! :-)

    I'm trying to cut down on my coffee too, but I, um, average an entire pot of coffee on the days that I work... Eeek! :-p At this very moment, I'm being good and drinking Irish black tea... :-) I'm very impressed that you're able to switch to half-caf!

    Your oatmeal sounds SO delicious!! I love your idea of putting crasins in oatmeal!! I must try this immediately! :-)

    Can't wait to see you, and cook up a storm together!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment lady! Me too, so excited, whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete