Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple bread





We went to Eckert's farm in Illinois last Saturday to pick apples. Strangely, I thought we should pick 80 pounds worth. So needless to say, we still have a ton of apples. I did make an apple bread last weekend, which I'll post a picture of here. I'm sure I'll be scouring my cookbooks and the Internet for more apple recipes this week:)

I used Mollie Katzen's apple cake recipe from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook:

1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a loaf pan.

2. Combine 1 and 1/2 c peeled and grated apples, 3 T lemon juice, 1/2 t lemon rind. Beat in 1/2 c light brown sugar, 4 T melted butter and 1 egg.

3. Sift together 2 c unbleached flour, 2 and 1/2 t baking powder, 1/2 t salt and 1 t cinnamon in another bowl. Make a well in the center and add the apple mixture, along with 1 t vanilla and 1/2 c minced nuts. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.

4. Spread into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for apples! Your apple cake looks SO gorgeous! I love the idea of picking 80 pounds of apples! Think of all the applesauce you could make! :-)

    ReplyDelete