Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Watermelon Gazpacho


Although it's been raining and gloomy so far this week (and most of this summer), I still feel like cooking something summery.

I’ve always loved gazpacho. The lightness, the sweetness, the coldness. I was on the elliptical reading Glamour this morning when I saw a recipe for watermelon gazpacho and I knew I’d have to try it. Immediately. However, I’d forgotten the recipe by the time I got home. I did a bit of Googling, tweaked a recipe and came up with this:

2 c cubed watermelon
2 c orange juice
1 T olive oil
½ diced red onion
½ diced large tomato (I prefer beefsteak tomatoes)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 diced cucumber
basil, salt and pepper to taste

Puree ½ c watermelon with the orange juice and oil, then add to the rest of the ingredients and stir. SO GOOD! I love cooking with orange juice this summer. Pretty to look at too, though I probably should have pureed this more.

Enjoy! Now, I'm off to tutoring. I'm a little nervous. When I tutored last week, one student asked my religion, my marital status, and my political allegiance. And this has to do with reading comprehension how...?

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, that's an intense and nosy student! Whoa! :-)

    Wow, Jamie, your gazpacho is absolutely inspired! I love the light, airy, sweet-savory parings!

    ReplyDelete