Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tacos & Taco Salad


I made a salad while Jake opted for traditional tacos.

First, I'd like to plug Food, Inc., a documentary I saw last night. Go see it! If you've read Eric Schlosser or Michael Pollan, then you are familiar with the topic matter. If you haven't, well, this movie might scare you. I'd prefer not to watch scenes from slaughterhouses myself. The bottom line: Know what you eat and where your food comes from, as uncomfortable as these tasks may be. Other messages: Cook your food at home. Consider planting a garden - even a small one. As Pollan often puts it in his seven-word mantra: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." You can the first chapter of his In Defense of Food here.

Anyway, the movie got me thinking about food a little more than usual, too. I took stock of my habits and the usual suspects in our kitchen: coffee, Luna bars, cereal, peanut butter sandwiches (remember the Peter Pan scare of 2007? "Food, Inc." does.), Stonyfield yogurt, fruit -- some from Schnuck's, some from Soulard Farmer's Market --and soy milk and tofu. Oh yeah, and candy. Something to work on.

What do you eat more than anything else? What do you gravitate to at grocery stores? And where do you shop and why?

Tonight we made tacos/taco salad (depending on your taste). Easy and healthy! First I cut up tomatoes, red peppers, onions, lettuce, and avocado, then heated up a can of vegetarian refried beans and Morningstar tofu crumbles. I then opened a can of salsa and put out some cheese and tortilla shells. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Jamie I totally want to see Food Inc. I'm finishing up "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver and I'm really enjoying it - it touches a lot on what it means to eat (and live) deliberately.. good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, Hugh -- I love Barbara Kingsolver; I will check this out. You will enjoy Food, Inc. Let's talk after you see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, I love the Morningstar crumbles! Your tacos and salad look so yummy!!

    I love every single one of Michael Pollan's books - they're all favs of mine now... Very thought provoking and important! Thank you for reminding me about Food Inc! I love all your questions - it's always so terrific when a reminder (such as your questions) comes along to keep me thinking, rethinking, and questioning our kitchen habits... I definitely eat peanut butter sandwiches and Kashi shredded wheat with yogurt waaaay too often - they're both healthy items, but when I have one or the other for lunch most days, which I do, I'm pretty sure I need more variety! :-)

    ReplyDelete