Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Grab bag dinner


Tonight I threw whatever I felt like eating into a pot. (Of course, sometimes...often...what I really feel like eating is the icing off of cake. Or a piece of Godiva chocolate. Or the icing off of cake.)

But tonight I tossed a 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms, a small can of mandarin oranges, a carrot, a package of Trader Joe's teriyaki-flavored baked tofu slices (so much easier than working with firm tofu in my opinion), a handful of walnuts, half an onion, 2 garlic cloves, and 1/4 c of red pepper slices into a pot. I then cooked these items -- first the onion and garlic and then the rest -- with 1 T olive oil, 1 and 1/2 T soy sauce, and a splash of orange juice. I was skeptical at first, especially about the walnuts. Jake looked pretty disappointed in the mandarin oranges (especially since he has an aversion to fruit...yes, all fruit).

But it was awesome over brown basmati rice.


Delish.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, SUCH a gorgeous dish!! The mushrooms and the walnuts are an incredible combo - so earthy and glorious!

    (I am often filled with unrequited longing for cake icing as well... ;-)

    P.S. I just wrote about how awesome you are in my most recent post - I hope you don't mind... :-)

    ReplyDelete