Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nachos (or broken up taco shells with salsa and bits of tomato and avocado)


Most of the time I am hungry. When my friend, Jeff, and I worked in a small town, we were the only two vegetarians in the office and we used to constantly talk about food. What we would eat. When we would eat. Did we need a snack break? Perhaps we could get pizza some time soon. What about a root beer? Did I want to split an avocado? Would my salad from Giant satisfy me for the rest of the afternoon (most likely not)?

It is still sometimes like this, though I don't emote quite as often about food. On occasion I daydream of Dairy Queen banana blizzards. I scrounge for chocolate where there is usually none. I send telepathic messages to Jake about picking up fantastic, enormous salads with candied walnuts and grapes at Dewey's down the street.

And then at times I'm not as hungry for a few days or a week. I get by on a yogurt or piece of fruit for much of the day. Or I have to remind myself to eat -- see the broken up taco shells and salsa, tomato and avocado bits above. It blows my mind. How can I not be my usual hungry self? Does this happen to you, too? Ah, to gaze at one's navel with these questions...

1 comment:

  1. Jamie, I'm the same way!!! I'm glad it's not just me! :-) Some days I long to nibble allll day long, and then some days I just have no appetite! I've contemplated this phenomena for far too long with no conclusions - I can't seem to find a pattern to the oscillations. The only thing I can think of is maybe our bodies just know when we need extra nutrients, and when we're caught up? :-) Have you noticed any patterns?

    Your avocado/salsa/chips mixture looks soooo yummy... I'm obsessed with avocados lately!

    ReplyDelete