Monday, July 27, 2009

Burrito Time


Tonight I made burritos in a hurry while I was hungry. Recipe as follows:

Sauté 1/4 of a yellow onion and 1 garlic clove in 2 T of extra virgin olive oil, and then throw in a 1/3 of a cucumber (sliced and diced), 1/2 avocado, a few broccoli florets, and a few diced carrots and celery stalks. Then add a few heaping tablespoons of medium salsa. Finally, warm up a couple whole wheat tortillas while you heat up a package of Zatarain's red beans and rice in the microwave. Not wildly creative, but tasty, healthy, and quick!

Speaking of wildly creative, however, I am currently reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. I liked her novels Pigs in Heaven and The Bean Trees, and then my friend, Hugh (whom I'd also call a foodie), recommended this nonfiction book about her experiment eating only locally grown and her own home-grown food for one year. I'm about half-way through now, and it's an excellent book. Kingsolver is not a vegetarian, but she is a delight to read. This woman makes me want to grow tomatoes in a pot on my fire escape, plant asparagus in our scrap of front yard, and make my own mozzarella cheese from scratch. So cool. She also makes me want to never set another foot in Schnucks but instead keep up with my weekly visits to Soulard market, a large, old farmer's market in St. Louis. I love the market's spring mix and ripe peaches and berries. I like chatting up "cheesy John" and eyeing mouthwatering pastries. I should post pics next time I go!
More updates on Kingsolver to come...


2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've been meaning to read Kingsolver's text for ages! Thank you for reminding me to put it on my bookmooch wishlist!

    Wow, Jamie, you always give me so many fantastic, creative culinary ideas whenever I visit your blog! I never thought of putting beans and rice both into a burrito, and it's such a great idea! Not only does it then give you a complete-protein-burrito, but it sounds scrumptious!! Mmmmm, I think I know what I'm fixing for supper tonight, now... :-) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your lovely encouragement, Chava dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete