Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pasta maker!





I finally used my pasta maker this weekend and it was a lot of fun. After taking a pasta-making class at the Kitchen Conservatory earlier this year, I decided that I would be a person that makes her own pasta. But how time escapes me. Anyway, I came home today from a workout and errands and thought, why not now?

So to make a recipe that serves six (think leftovers!), you use a large bowl and measure 500 grams of flour. Make a hole in the middle of the flour, then add four eggs and mix it together with a fork until you get dough that is neither too wet nor too dry. Add a bit of water or more flour if you need to do so. Then knead the dough until it no longer sticks to your hands and cut a piece off to use in your pasta maker - you might even want to save some of the dough in a plastic bag for the next day.

Then piece by piece, you feed the dough through the pasta maker quite a few times until it is paper thin; then your pasta maker will make noodles (spaghetti and/or fettuccine) out of the thin dough. Also boil a pot of semi-salty water while you do this. Finally, drop the noodles into the hot water and let them boil for just a bit, then add shredded Parmesan cheese and a dab of margarine to a bowl (or a tomato sauce if you prefer). Voila! A very early Sunday supper.

Altogether with the measuring, kneading, and feeding the dough bit by bit through the pasta maker many times, I probably spent 1.5 hours in the kitchen (so lovely on a weekend, but a bit time consuming for a weekday). So I won't likely be making this a few times a week like my cooking instructor said she did. But oh so tasty! It's also nice to know exactly what you're eating:)

5 comments:

  1. Aaah... I have been debating whether I should get my own pasta maker since my summer trip to Italy. I *love* homemade pasta...Yes, I agree with you that it's time consuming. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! And your blog is just lovely. Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm there is nothing better than homemade pasta!! well... maybe some homemade bread to go with it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, stephchows - homemade bread would have been the perfect side dish:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie, I am SO excited to try the gorgeous pasta maker you so incredibly sweetly gave us!! :-) You're too kind! I'm printing out your post so I can follow your directions - I can't wait for our pasta making day!! Your noodles are SO beautiful! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete