Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Marinated and Baked Tofu

I could eat this sauce with a spoon.

Although I don't do a ton of cooking with tofu, tonight I had a hankering for it. So I adapted this recipe from one that my brother makes with meat.

Simmer the following in a pot:
3 c tomato sauce
1 c organic apple cider vinegar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c chopped mushrooms
1/2 c sautéd yellow onion and garlic

Then open a package of extra firm tofu and let it sit for a while to remove the water. Chop it into four slices and let it marinate in your sauce as you preheat the oven to 375, prepare a baking tray with olive oil, and begin making some rice. Then place the tofu on the tray to bake for 30 minutes. Flip over the tofu slices about halfway through. Eat with rice and more sauce. Cheers.

In other news, I just learned that the bestseller Skinny Bitch (my students and I just talked about the word, "bitch" last week. Is it demeaning? Empowering? Should it ever be uttered? There was no consensus.) is actually about going vegan. Interesting, hm? The authors chose the title because they thought it would sell books. So think what you want about the word, but "bitch" sells.

3 comments:

  1. How did it work out? Was the sauce good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, YUM! I love the combo of the brown sugar and the nutty flavors of the mushrooms... Sounds incredible! The photo of the tofu, rice, and sauce all together is soooo scrumptious... :-)

    So funny that you mentioned the Skinny Bitch book - I was just reading about it last night! Great minds, ya know... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. B, it did work out - the sauce was amaazing. Thank you!
    And Astra, yes, what did you think of the book? I have a kindle (I am surprised about this as well), so I ordered it and started reading. Pretty good advice about not eating junk - nothing we don't know already - and stated with lots of attitude. I don't really recommend it.

    ReplyDelete