Thursday, September 24, 2009

Brown Rice and Veggies


I have been thinking more about a vegan diet for a past few days, so I've been trying to swap my usual yogurt with soy yogurt, and generally just eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains. By the way, I take a multivitamin every day and a calcium chew on most days (and so should you).

So here is a vegan dinner for tonight (and this is also a bit of a "go to" dish for me, as you may have noticed):

1. Boil a pot of water for a sliced potato and a handful of baby carrots. Like my lovely friend, Astra Libris, I never remove potato skin either.

2. In another pot, make one cup of long grain brown rice.

3. In a third and final pot, saute two shallots and a heaping T of minced garlic in olive oil, then add strips of red pepper and let sit for a bit. Then add a small handful each of walnuts and sesame seeds, and a box of golden raisins. At the last moment, so that it stays fairly crunchy and doesn't lose its nutrients, add some fresh broccoli.

4. Drain the potato slices and baby carrots, mix everything together and enjoy! Add sauce (tomato or a curry) if you so desire, but know that it's pretty tasty dry, too:)

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Jamie, you're too sweet! Thank you for the very kind potato shout-out! :-) High five for not peeling potato skins!! :-)

    Your rice and veggies is such a gorgeous, nutritious combo! I love how you added the walnuts, sesame seeds, and raisins... Mmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete