Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Freezing a Large Batch of Chili


I know, I know, do I make anything other than chili? Not much. But I really think it's the perfect food with a good slice of bread. So today I decided to make a pretty big batch and freeze it so that Jake and I and perhaps my mom can eat it in the first week or so after the baby is here. Jake keeps asking, "Are we really people who cook and freeze things?" Yes, my dear, we really are. Whatever that means. To me, it means we are planners.

So after googling the heck out of this, the Internet's verdict is to cook the chili, put it in small containers and let them cool to room temperature, and then freeze for "ages," which seems prettty open to interpretation, no?

(Vegan) Chili:

2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T garlic (I heart garlic)
3/4 of a yellow onion, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with onions (chili style)
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
Half-pound of Morningstar tofu (acts like ground beef)
as much oregano and chili powder as you desire

Saute your garlic and onion in olive oil for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat, then add your peppers. Rock out to Rilo Kiley or whatever you like, then add the carrots, then tomatoes, then beans and tofu. Taste test your chili as you add your spices -- just like Anne Burrell says (orders).

1 comment: