Thursday, April 29, 2010

Empanadas - Part III


I finally bought a rolling pin and cookie cutters from Amazon! & wow, these gadgets make empanada-making so much easier.

Jake could probably eat these every night if I made them. I try to make a batch about every other week, which lasts a couple days or so. I learned how to make them from the excellent Kitchen Conservatory -- and their May classes look delightful, by the way (especially since I swoon for dainty tea party fare). In other news, since it's almost May - Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May - I've been at this blog for almost a year now! It's been a good ride. Though I wish I cooked with more variety and more often, the blog still makes me accountable every once in a while, and it's been a lot of fun, too. It's interesting to shape a recipe into a narrative, or mold an hour in the kitchen into an anecdote.

Enjoy the empanadas, friends.

Empanadas (makes about a dozen)

Pulse in a Cuisinart/mix by hand:
1 c all-purpose flour (or try 1/2 c whole wheat flour with 1/3 c all-purpose flour)
1/2 t salt
4 T margarine (you might use vegan margarine and sour cream to make this a vegan recipe)
Add 1/4 c ice water

Roll out your dough and use a cup or cookie cutter to make about 12 circles/decorative shapes to fill.

Filling: Saute in frying pan:
3 T margarine
1/2 yellow onion
chopped and cleaned Portabella mushrooms (about 1/4 pound)
1 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t marjoram

Once this cools, add a dollop in sour cream (or other cheese of your liking) to the mixture.

Put your filling in your cute dough shapes (I used a pumpkin cookie cutter this evening); use egg white to make the dough stick when you fold it over the filling; pop in the oven for about 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment