Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Molasses Sugar Cookies




This recipe is on the back of my Brer Rabbit Molasses bottle, and it's seriously delicious. I can't remember if I've made them for the blog before...Did you know that molasses is a good source of iron? I'm reminded of pregnant Rebecca Walker in Baby Love who downs a tablespoonful of it to add more iron to her diet. Yuck. Molasses sugar cookies seem to me a much more soothing way to add iron. Here's the recipe, which I halved:

3/4 c margarine
1 c sugar
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cloves (I have no cloves)
1/2 t ground ginger (ditto)

Mix the wets, mix the drys, add the dry stuff to the wet stuff, form balls of dough and roll them in sugar and place them on a nonstick cookie sheet, then pop in the preheated oven at 375 for 6-8 minutes.

And voila ~ enjoy.
Mmm -- cookie and milk.

p.s. Brer Rabbit says you can get 5 dozen cookies out of this recipe. Well, I halved it and made 14 cookies.

p.p.s. Brer Rabbit also suggests using molasses as a topping on pancakes, waffles, French toast, hot cereal or ice cream -- anyone do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment