Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Broccoli, Cheese, & Tofu Stuffed Baked Potatoes


I had a hankering for a baked potato tonight and then I thought - let's make this more interesting.

So I baked a few medium-sized gold potatoes (for 70 minutes at 350 - my oven is a bit slow), scooped out the insides, and mashed the potato with a fork.

Then I added 2/3 c steamed broccoli, 2/3 c cooked Morningstar tofu crumbles, 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese, 2 T of margarine and a few T of milk (soy milk).

I finally added a dash of salt and pepper, then spooned the potato-tofu-broccoli-cheese mixture back into the potatoes. I sprinkled a bit of shredded cheese on top and popped them back in the oven at 250 for another 10 minutes.

Voila -- pretty pretty and pretty tasty too. Did you know that one potato provides 45% of your daily Vitamin C requirements? Go potato!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, totally dreamy, healthy, perfect twice-baked potatoes! YUM!!

    I didn't know potatoes had so much vitamin C - wow! Potatoes rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good, Jamie. And good for you too.
    I love baked potatoes with brocolli and cheese. Tofu adds a nice touch of more protein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were some great cartoons, commissioned by the Office of War Information in WWII, on various vegetables (potatoes included). Seems 1943 (?) was a bumper potato crop, and rather than have them rot in fields or warehouses, the OWI put on a campaign to have everyone buy an "extra bushel" and store them on the porch, in the garage, etc. Great stuff. This recipe looks fabulous, too--real comfort food.

    Donna Knaff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all -- Donna, I had no idea. How very cool; thanks for all the comments.

    ReplyDelete