Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Deliberately Making Chili

A few days ago my mother told me that I cook so quickly. A few months ago – maybe a year ago – my husband told me that I rush around and hurry too often. I took his comments to heart and thought about the risk that rushing could pose; I’ve cut down on multitasking since then. Now, when I’m driving a car, I’m no longer also answering a text message. When I’m talking on the phone at home, I’m no longer also doing laundry and cooking and responding to a student's question via email.

But when my mom said I seem to cook so quick – chopping in a few brusque strokes or throwing olive oil around – I had to think about this for a while too. And maybe I do. So tonight when I made chili, I didn’t put music on and I didn’t take out a magazine article I wanted to read. I simply made chili, deliberately, slowly cutting my vegetables and adding spices with purpose. I can’t say the chili is better – but I didn’t cut myself while carving and I put more energy into the meal than I have in chilis of the past.


Here is the recipe:


2 T olive oil

1/3 diced yellow onion

3 minced garlic gloves

1 diced red pepper

2 chopped celery stalks

1 can of stewed tomatoes

1 can of chili beans

2/3 c of Morningstar tofu crumbles

1 T of brown sugar (My friend Mel made her chili this way last week and it was wonderful)

1 t oregano

a sprinkling of chili powder

shredded cheese

  1. Dice, mince and slice your onion, pepper, garlic and celery and then sauté them over medium heat with your olive oil.
  2. Add the Morningstar tofu, beans and tomatoes, sprinkle and stir in your spices, and let simmer for 10 or so minutes.
  3. Top with cheese.

Yum.


p.s. In Parenting magazine this month (yes, I am now reading this magazine) they reported that lowering your carb intake might send your cholesterol higher. The magazine’s news flash: “Carbs aren’t necessarily evil and can be your friend.” Cheers.

p.p.s. I go to my 32 week OB appt tomorrow - it's getting closer and closer to babygirl's arrival! Here is the latest pic of our nursery:



No comments:

Post a Comment