Friday, February 19, 2010

Stuffed French Toast


I’ve been waking up around 6 a.m. lately, so I’ve been eating meals earlier. Okay by me. Anyway today I was home around lunchtime, waiting for the Salvation Army reps to pick up an old desk, so I started leafing through Eating Well When You’re Expecting. I had ordered it when I was about eight weeks pregnant, read it in one sitting, and pretty much forgot about it. However, there are tons of useful – and vegetarian – recipes in the back of the book. Lately I’ve been trying to eat more protein so I looked for something quick and protein-rich to make for lunch.

Here is what I found:


Stuffed French Toast (my photo does not do it justice)

  1. Spread 1 T of almond, soy, or peanut butter on whole wheat bread. Spread 2 T of fruit preserves over one slice. Arrange ½ a banana sliced thinly between the bread.

  1. Place one egg, ¼ cup milk (I used soymilk), ½ t vanilla extract and ½ t ground cinnamon in a bowl and whisk.

  1. Place the sandwich in the milk mixture and let soak for a minute on each side.

  1. Heat up oil (I used butter spray) in a small skillet over medium-high heat – cook the sandwich 2-3 minutes on each side.

So yummy. Chief, my mercurial cat, looked hopeful that he would get a bite. He didn’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment