Friday, August 21, 2009

On Not Following Directions


Why is it that when I step into Office Depot -- this time to fix a printer -- my ears ring, my heart races, and my blood begins to boil? People probably think I'm a pretty calm chica but some days I walk around with a match under me lighting me on fire. Ka-boom! I decided to cool off the other night with some cooking. The chopping of onions to a little Liza Minnelli does wonders for shaking off anger.

About 20 years ago my mom used to make a meat-and-rice combo and it struck me that I could do something similar with Morningstar tofu crumbles. First I sautéd 1/2 a yellow onion and a shallot in some extra virgin olive oil. Then I added a diced zucchini, carrot, and green pepper and squirted in a T of lemon juice. Then I added 1/2 bag of the tofu crumbles and some garlic marinara, which I let stew together for another 5 or so minutes. I then added a couple T of extra chunky salsa. Is this weird? Probably not the way mom did it. Then I made 1.5 c of brown rice and stirred it all together. Not bad, and it distracted me from my lame printing problem for a bit.

A friend recently told me that when I'm in the kitchen I don't follow directions. The thing about not following directions is that sometimes it really works, and sometimes it just doesn't. At all. The same goes for life, no?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reading and for your comment - it's very encouraging. Eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for not following directions! Makes life so much more fun and interesting, no? :-)

    Oh WOW, your rice dish looks heavenly... Mmmm, Morningstar crumbles rock... :-)

    I find huge stores like Office Depot rather stressful as well... :-)

    ReplyDelete