Monday, August 31, 2009

2J casserole

Ode to potato.
Beans/onions/marinara sauce. Note my new pan.

We've called this 2J casserole for years -- cheesy, I know -- for Jake and Jamie's casserole, but I'm constantly changing the recipe, adding this or that. It's a dish I've often taken places -- to on-campus potlucks, Thanksgivings, house parties. No one ever seems to be allergic to anything in it, and it's easy to make. I think Jake is the actually mastermind behind this one; he and his Washington D.C. roommate once made it up and the recipe has stuck around now for...9 years:)

Here is tonight's version:
Boil three sliced potatoes in a large pot.
Then saute a shallot, 1/4 white onion, and some minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized pan for a bit.
Soon, add garbanzo and kidney beans (I use half a can of each), the majority of a can of tomato marinara sauce, and finally, the boiled potatoes.
Add Morningstar tofu crumbles (I just cut up a veggie burger tonight and added it to the mix). You may want to add a carrot or two, broccoli, red onion, celery, fennel, whatever your pleasure...Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I LOVE the name of the J2 casserole! :-) Too awesome - and delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete