Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fruit cobbler

\

I have been madly craving sweets this week. In the back of my head I hear my OB telling me to eat more protein and fewer carbs if I want to get full. Yet I cannot stop my mind from brownie and cobbler fantasies.

So this morning, a fairly dreary Saturday morning in St. Louis, I opened a Williams-Sonoma cook book on desserts - great way to start off the day with desserts, no? Anyway, I found a recipe for a nectarine-raspberry cobbler but I changed this to an apple-blueberry-raspberry cobbler, which made our home smell delicious. I put on a CD of The Waifs (I can't recall how this came into my hands, but whoever burned this for me, thank you thank you!) and got down to business:

1. Preheat oven to 375 and have an 8-inch square baking dish ready.

2. Peel two Fuji apples, remove core, dice and place in bowl. Add 6 oz. of blueberries, 6. oz. of raspberries, and 3 T of sugar. Then pour the mixture into the baking dish.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 buttermilk and 1 t vanilla.

4. In a large bowl, mix 3/4 c flour, 1/4 c sugar, 1 t baking powder, 1 t baking soda, and 1/2 t salt. Cut in 6 T of cold butter into the mixture forms coarse crumbs, and then add the buttermilk mixture until a soft dough forms, which you will drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the fruit.

5. Bake for about 35 minutes. Eat!

In other news, here is the finished mural in our nursery -- the artist, Courtney Veszi, did the most amazing job. It was such fun deciding what to paint and coming up with a design with Courtney. At first Jake was stuck on alligators, since we've both so enjoyed trips to the Florida Everglades:

However, can you imagine walking into a nursery in the wee hours and spotting a dozen alligators grinning at you? Well, I couldn't.

So we decided on a forest scene. I've so loved hiking with Jake on our last couple vacations, and the woods always feels very homey to me:

Here are some photos of Courtney's work:

5 comments:

  1. THe cobbler and the mural looks great. I could almost smell it baking. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a close follower of Williams-Sonoma cook books,love the fruity cobbler.Beautiful art :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mural and would love to eat some cobbler!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mural is gorgeous!!! WOW!! As is the cobbler - such a perfect trio of fruits!

    ReplyDelete