Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Night Veggies/Rice Dish


All day I had a hankering for vegetables -- colorful and healthful vegetables. I was out of town for a few days and eating too much junk: frozen yogurt, cookies, creamy soups. The food was heavy and now so am I.

So tonight I am back to my usual routine. I sautéd half a yellow onion, two pressed garlic cloves, 1 sliced red pepper, 1 sliced green pepper, about 1/2 c mushroom slices, some raw broccoli, 2 diced stalks of celery, 2 diced carrots and about 1 c of protein-rich Quorn in a few T of extra virgin olive oil. I've been watching this funny show at night called "Worst Cooks in America" and I've actually been picking up a thing or two. Eg: I used to sauté onions on high heat but apparently that can burn them too quickly and does nothing to enhance flavor. Good to know.

Anyway, the veggies were a bit dry so then I added a bit of tomato sauce and made some brown rice. Voila -- an easy dinner for two (with leftovers) made from vegetables, grains and protein.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie, your dish looks SO delicious!! Such vibrant colors, brimming with energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of myself when I crave vegetables. I mean, it usually happens when I've been eating really poorly, hahaha. But still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks for the comments. I was pretty proud of myself, too, Lele:)

    ReplyDelete