Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rice and Vegetable Medley


I like to eat dinner early on Sundays, so we usually do. As my due date approaches, I haven't felt like cooking quite as often so we've been dining on Thai takeout again, our old staple. But tonight I whipped up an easy rice mix and added the following:

2 diced tomatoes
1 diced red pepper
2 chopped carrots
1/2 diced yellow onion
2 T garlic
2 leaves of basil (torn) (I heard this herb could help bring on labor - cheers to that tip...)
1/2 t oregano
1 potato (sliced and boiled)
a handful of dried cranberries
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan and Gruyere cheese (skip the cheese to make this a completely vegan dish)
pepper to taste

I sauted the garlic and onion in extra virgin olive oil, added the red pepper, carrot, cranberries, boiled potato and spices, and then added that entire mixture to the rice and tomatoes. I added the cheese and pepper at the end. Then we ate;) Early. Sunday-style.

Voila: The concoction was festive with its reds, oranges, and flecks of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment