Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apple Cake

baked potato - yum
beautiful apple cake

After Jake came home today, he went in the nursery to put down the baby (which often takes more than an hour) and then I couldn't decide what to do with myself: Should I go for a jog? Give myself a manicure? Run an errand? Work on my dissertation? No, no, no. So I baked a potato for lunch and made Smitten Kitchen's lovely apple cake.

My dad had brought us some Fuji apples -- a ton of them, so I wanted to use some up in a recipe. Apple cake always reminds me of my grandma, a wonderful baker, the kind of woman who didn't need recipes in the kitchen. I miss her.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie!! I've just read all of your wonderful posts about Rebecca, and they're just beautiful... as are you... and as is Rebecca! I'm in awe that you're baking already, and this beautiful apple cake, no less! WOW! You rock, girl!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jamie. Grandma's apple cake was the best. She would make it in a loaf pan, (I may have the recipe somewhere) and it was so moist. I could come into the house and eat half of it at one time. I'll never forget how it tasted. And yes, I miss her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom -- pass on that recipe! I've got a bag full of apples from Eckerts in the fridge...

    And thank you Chava. I've so enjoyed reading your blog as well -- hope you are feeling well too. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete