Thursday, October 6, 2011

Peanut Stew


My lovely friend, Chava first introduced this recipe to me two years ago when I visited her in Atlanta. I still make it once in a while, have probably blogged about it before, and have noticed that it is a perfect recipe when entertaining vegan guests, as we plan to do so this weekend.

I did my own variation here, using what we had in the kitchen. It freezes well, and can be made days in advance before a party or dinner.

Chava's Peanut Stew: (my variation)

Ingredients
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 T olive oil
1 eggplant
1 sweet potato
1 can of diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
1 roma tomato
2 c vegetable broth
4 T peanut butter
1/2 t ginger
dash of salt
1/3 c diced nuts
candied ginger (sliced)

1. Dice your onion and garlic and saute over olive oil for 5-7 minutes. At the same time, slice your small eggplant into chunks and let sit in salt water for 20 minutes with a plate pressing the squash down into the water. Remove from water and put in colander to dry.

2. Microwave sweet potato and then dice after cooling.

3. Add eggplant and sweet potato to the onion/garlic mixture and steam for 5 minutes.

4. Add vegetable broth, tomato, diced tomatoes and bring to a boil until the eggplant is soft.

5. Add nuts, ginger, candied ginger and peanut-butter. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment